Saturday, May 26, 2012

African Leaders Seek Ways to Woo Diaspora

I ran across this article yesterday: African Leaders Seek Ways to Woo Diaspora.   

Before I was introduced to Turkey, I've long identified with Africa because of my experiences in Peace Corps in the 1990s. 99% of the time I have felt highly welcomed by Africans from the continent.  I also love the Turks because my skin color never seemed to matter to them, and some of they have long wanted me to live among them permanently.  But my first identification is with my African heritage.  It is the essence of who I truly am.

World incidents last year made me refocus more strongly on Africa again even though my heart had never really left it.  For all the Africans I've met with a strong and true African identity and love of their continent and us in the Diaspora, I have nothing except fondness and love. 

I am member of a Facebook group for Africans who want to have a hand in leading their continent out of centuries of shackles and invasions to a new day.  I was honored to be invited into the group, and they have an application that can filled out for volunteer and other work.  I plan to fill it out because I hope I can do all I am able with my art and my mind (my basic base of talent) to help my people.  I want to see an African Renaissance because I know that more parts of Africa was great besides just Egypt.  Africa is the continent of many kings.  I don't know if it was flattery from some African friends, but years ago I was told I resembled members of a royal tribe from Ghana.  There is a great power play for Africa now between Western and Eastern people.  

Africa is a contradiction, both rich and poor.  I have become a Pan-Africanist, and want those in the Diaspora who are balanced and proud and with something to offer and who will not harm Africa even more, those with honest and unselfish intentions to unite with our cousins in Africa and elsewhere. 

I don't know the details of it, but I read briefly last year that Dr. King seemed to be moving toward a kind of Pan-Africanism before he was assassinated.  Walter Fauntroy who was close to Dr. King alluded to this in an interview after he returned from Libya on a peace mission.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Class Activity With Two of My Youngest Students

It has been a while since I last posted.  I began writing a serious post this week which I hope to finish in the coming days.   Today an a...